Zimbabwe all-rounder Sikandar Raza has been named in the Upstox Most Valuable Team of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022.
The team of the tournament was announced after England defeated Pakistan in the final played in Melbourne on Sunday to lift the trophy.
Although Zimbabwe bowed out at the Super 12 stage, Raza had done enough with both bat and ball to earn a place among the competition’s most outstanding players.
Raza scored a polished 82 off 48 balls in the team’s opening game against Ireland in Hobart, before further batting contributions against Scotland, the Netherlands and India – bolstered by a brilliant three for 25 as Zimbabwe stunned Pakistan in Perth – rounded off a tournament to remember.
He finished with 219 runs and 10 wickets.
Raza is joined in the team of the tournament by the England trio of captain, wicketkeeper and opening batter Jos Buttler and his fellow opener Alex Hales as well as seamer Sam Curran after they helped steer their side to a second ICC Men’s T20 World Cup title.
The line-up also features New Zealand star Glenn Phillips, India talisman Virat Kohli and Pakistan left-armer Shaheen Shah Afridi.
The side was put together by a selection panel including commentators, former international players and journalists.
UPSTOX MOST VALUABLE TEAM OF THE ICC MEN’S T20 WORLD CUP 2022 (IN BATTING ORDER):
1. Alex Hales (England) – 212 runs at 42.40
2. Jos Buttler (captain/wicketkeeper) (England) – 225 runs at 45.00 and nine dismissals
3. Virat Kohli (India) – 296 runs at 98.66
4. Suryakumar Yadav (India) – 239 runs at 59.75
5. Glenn Phillips (New Zealand) – 201 runs at 40.20
6. Sikandar Raza (Zimbabwe) – 219 runs at 27.37 and 10 wickets at 15.60
7. Shadab Khan (Pakistan) – 98 runs at 24.50 and 11 wickets at 15.00
8. Sam Curran (England) – 13 wickets at 11.38
9. Anrich Nortje (South Africa) – 11 wickets at 8.54
10. Mark Wood (England) – nine wickets at 12.00
11. Shaheen Shah Afridi (Pakistan) – 11 wickets at 14.09
• 12th Player: Hardik Pandya (India) – 128 runs at 25.60 and eight wickets at 18.25