Rhinos pip Mountaineers, Rocks stonewall their way to final day

Rhinos – 280 and 228 all out in 52.5 overs (Eddie Byrom 61, Tarisai Musakanda 37, Kiran Carlson 35; Wellington Masakadza 5/37, Victor Nyauchi 3/55, Tinashe Muchawaya 1/24)

Mega Market Mountaineers – 271 and 212 all out in 57.5 overs (Tony Munyonga 89, Timycen Maruma 24, Wellington Masakadza 19; Carl Mumba 3/44, Tafara Chingwara 3/45, Ryan Burl 2/33)

Rhinos won by 25 runs

Rhinos secured a 25-run victory after a superb innings of 89 from Tony Munyonga just failed to complete a good Mega Market Mountaineers fightback in an exciting finish to their Logan Cup match at Harare Sports Club on Saturday.

The day began with Rhinos in a good position on 163 for three wickets in their second innings, with Kiran Carlson on 14 and Ryan Burl eight, a lead of 172 runs.

However, a brilliant opening spell of bowling by Victor Nyauchi shattered their dreams of building an unbeatable lead.

Burl scored only one more run in the morning before he was first out, sending Nyauchi a return catch at 168 for four.

With only two more runs scored, Nyauchi had Johnathan Campbell caught at the wicket and bowled Nyasha Mayavo, both without scoring, and the Rhinos middle order was shattered.

Donald Tiripano stepped in to remove Brandon Mavuta for five and Wellington Masakadza returned to trap Carl Mumba lbw for seven, and at this point Rhinos had collapsed to 187 for eight.

Carlson was still there, but he was unable to make a stand, and at 196 Masakadza had him stumped for 35.

Fortunately for Rhinos, Trevor Gwandu was the one man able to make a stand with the bat for them.

He hit out boldly, smiting six fours to score 29 before he was caught off Tinashe Muchawaya, leaving Tafara Chingwara not out for one, having held up his end well.

This last wicket fell at 228, a total that must have really disappointed Rhinos after their good position overnight.

Masakadza finished with five wickets for 37, a fine analysis, but it was the three wickets of Nyauchi first thing that really turned the innings around and kept Mountaineers in the game.

This left Mountaineers needing 238 to win, and a close and intense struggle was to follow.

Rhinos fought back with the ball, rocking Mountaineers as they lost their first three wickets for only 26 runs, as well as Kevin Kasuza retiring hurt.

Ben Compton went for four, Spencer Magodo for seven and PJ Moor for four, the last two to Chingwara.

This was a situation for Munyonga, a man with an excellent temperament, and he rose to the occasion superbly.

While Tiripano defended, Munyonga met the bowling with defiance, and the pair put on 54 for the fourth wicket, of which Tiripano scored nine before Mumba removed him lbw.

Munyonga was now clearly the key figure in this match and as long as he was still there, Mountaineers could still win.

He kept the runs coming in his usual calm manner, while the Masakadza brothers, Shingi (15) and Wellington (19), played useful innings at the other end.

Timycen Maruma hit out, whacking five fours in an innings of 24, and when he left the match was still in the balance at 187 for seven.

Then things began to turn Rhinos’ way, as Muchawaya did not score, and at 202 came the vital wicket, as Munyonga, after a wonderful fighting innings, was bowled out by Mumba.

He had scored 89 off 150 balls in almost four hours, with three sixes and 10 fours.

All was not lost yet, as the injured Kasuza returned, and although handicapped still had the potential to score the remaining runs.

However, Mumba struck again to have the last man, Nyauchi, caught by Tarisai Musakanda for six, leaving Kasuza not out with 15 and the innings all over for 212.

There were three wickets each for Chingwara and Mumba, while Gwandu and Burl had two apiece.


Eagles – 517 and 99-4 declared in 14 overs (Tadiwanashe Marumani 53*, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe 11, Wessly Madhevere 8; Sydney Murombo 3/51, Keith Jaure 1/28)

Southern Rocks – 167 and 143-1 in 59 overs (Cephas Zhuwao 52, Ben Curran 43*, Brian Mudzinganyama 38*; Wessly Madhevere 1/31)

Day 3 – Stumps: Southern Rocks need 307 runs

Brian Mudzinganyama and Ben Curran put in a defiant stand on Saturday as Southern Rocks resorted to dogged stonewalling to take their Logan Cup match against Eagles into the fourth and final day at Old Hararians Sports Club.

The day began with Rocks on 118 for five wickets in their first innings, in reply to the huge Eagles total of 517, with the overnight pair being William Mashinge who had 29 and Tafadzwa Tsiga four.

The innings did not get very far once Mashinge was caught at the wicket off Brad Evans for 33.

Tapiwa Mufudza then broke through the tail with his off-breaks, the last four batters scoring just 12 runs among them, as the Rocks innings closed at 167 all out.

Tsiga remained unbeaten with 33 not out, scored from 137 balls.

The off-spinners Mufudza and Wessly Madhevere took three wickets each, while the pacemen Brad Evans and Faraz Akram had two apiece.

Despite their lead of 350 on the first innings, Eagles decided to bat again instead of enforcing the follow-on.

They batted for only 14 overs, hitting up 99 runs before declaring with four wickets down.

The only beneficiary of this policy was Tadiwanashe Marumani, who opened the batting and smacked up 53 not out off 43 balls.

Rocks went in again needing a mammoth 450 runs to win, and finally now began to show some fighting spirit.

It was started by Cephas Zhuwao, who was rather more restrained than usual, but still scored his 52 runs off 68 balls, with four sixes and five fours, before Madhevere had him out lbw.

This came out of an opening partnership of 60 with Mudzinganyama, who blocked balls after balls in a desperate bid to take the match into the fourth and final day.

Curran came in next, and Eagles were unable to take any more wickets, as the pair defiantly batted out the day to score 143 for one wicket.

Curran was not out with 43, off 112 deliveries, while Mudzinganyama had 38, having taken 175 balls to reach that score.